Safe Towing Scheme
Seeking Government backed and recognised accreditation for your B+E provision?
Seek out the Safe Towing Scheme and become an Approved Centre.
What is the Safe Towing Scheme?
With the removal of a requirement for the DVSA B+E test (for cars and light vehicles up to a combined weight of 7500kg) in November 2021 a new voluntary trailer training accreditation scheme has been developed to provide motorists with the skills, knowledge and competencies to tow safely.
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) and the Department for Transport (DfT) have worked with the trailer training industry to form the National Council for Accredited Trailer Training (NCATT) to oversee the scheme and set good towing practice.
DVSA has now approved three new accreditation schemes which will, in turn, accredit B+E training providers to deliver certified training and assessment. The Safe Towing Scheme is one such scheme.
The scheme is delivered in partnership by Diamond Advanced Motorists, an internationally respected provider of advanced driver training and a DVSA accredited driver testing body and us, the National Trailer and Towing Association.
Why choose the Safe Towing Scheme?
For B+E trainers there are a range of benefits to becoming a Safe Towing Scheme Approved Centre:
- Gain government backed, nationally recognised accreditation for your training organisation.
- Train the Trainer programme – develop your B+E training knowledge and gain official certification for such.
- Offer an internationally recognised assessment – become an Approved Assessment Centre and offer certified end point assessments for your clients
- FREE learning and assessment resources to support training delivery
- FREE online courses and theory tests for your trainees
- Support with the marketing of your training centre.
Drivers wishing to develop their towing skills will be able to tap into a blend of engaging online learning (via a network of Safe Towing Scheme approved centres) and practical training opportunities, as well as an optical final assessment resulting in an Advanced Towing Certificate dual accredited by Diamond Advanced Motorists, an internationally respected advanced driver testing marque.
Benefits to trainees:
- FREE online Introduction to Towing course and theory quiz to test their knowledge
- Government endorsed training route
- Internationally recognised
- Advanced Towing Certification (on completion of final assessment)
- Insurance discounts
Becoming an Approved Centre
There are two options available:
- Approved Training Centre – your trainers and centre will be accredited to provide the Safe Towing Scheme
- Approved Training and Assessment Centre – in addition to the above, your centre will be approved to offer end point, certified assessments to customers.