National Trailer & Towing Association
Promoting Safe and Legal Towing

Are you a Towbar fitter? What you need to know about insurance!

What kind of insurance do you need?

That depends on how you operate. Generally, when it comes to the motor trade, you’re most likely looking at Road Risks or Liability cover, or if you are based at a physical workshop,
then Premises cover may be useful.

If you are looking for cover for vehicles in your care, custody & control for motor trade purposes, Road Risks insurance is what you’re after.

A few things to consider are:

*Who needs to drive?
*Who owns the vehicle?
*What’s the vehicle used for?
*What type of vehicles do you work with?

Liability insurance exists to protect you against third party claims, false or not, including against alleged defective workmanship. As a Towbar fitter or Trailer Service engineer, you will be working on customer vehicles and the very nature of the work may invite third party claims.

Our Motor Trade Liability insurance ensures that motor traders have the funds to defend or settle a claim and that you’ll have someone to help you in dealing with the claim.

What can it cover?


*Employers’ Liability insurance – compulsory in virtually all cases if you have employees Public  Liability

*Products Liability

*Defence costs associated with claims made against you

*The option to include cover for portable hand tools

Have you also considered?


*The need to insure customers vehicles, particularly if you need to move them or are working on them at the roadside

*The possibility of an accident involving a member of the public where you are working

*The risk of a claim against you alleging defective workmanship

*The value of goods, plant, machinery, stock and portable hand tools kept in your premises or van

Why join Road Runner?

As well as over 25 years helping motor trade professionals, our customers have access to a range of benefits including an online vehicle management platform and the ability to earn
money back through our ‘Tell a Mate’ scheme.

We pride ourselves on our history, our understanding of the motor trade and our service. As a member of the National Trailer and Towing Association (NTTA), join Road Runner and
you’ll get 12 months cover for the price of 10. All part of being a member of the NTTA.

Dont worry if your renewal is not due yet, fill out the offer form and we will contact you closer to the time.